April 4, 2011

Winter Surprises

Small delicate color has finally burst forth at my house. I  have owned an orchid plant for 6 years that has not put forth one flower. Finally this week with our topsy turvy Rocky Mountain spring weather ( 84 one day with snow and the 30's the nest day), inside my dry arid Colorado home beauty has arrived. 
I wonder if my shy Denver orchid knew the magnificent orchid cousins I had seen in Guatemala.
This jade colored orchid is one of the most amazing sights. When I first saw it in Antigua 2 years ago it was in a small boutique hotel.  It now resides at Las Escalonias a garden which has a small informal cafe on its grounds. Cafe de la Escalonia provides a wonderful place for a light lunch with fresh blended fruit juices and fine desserts under these hanging Thunbergia orchides.
I have seen these orchids in a number of home and restaurant gardens in Antigua. But thought you would enjoy being showered by raining orchids.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails