November 16, 2009

Falling/Seeking/Finding Autumn Colors

"October is the month for painted leaves. Their rich glow now flashes round the world. As fruits and leaves and the day itself acquire a bright tint just before they fall, so the year near its setting. October is its sunset sky;November the later twilight." Henry David Thoreau

I had an interesting find in September. I was anticipating the colors of a Colorado fall, the leaves had begun early to turn their glorious yellows in the mountains. I was waiting to see the beauty of the colorful fall that was too come down here on the high plains. I found a book entitled "Autumnal Tints" by Henry David Thoreau. The book was written in 1862 and I read it looking forward to yellows, oranges and yes a few reds. But then we had early frosts and 18 inches of snow. Fall was hurried along and while other places at lower elevations had a slow langorous drift of color our leaves plummeted to the ground and were covered by snow.


I found the colors I was seeking but I found them INSIDE. I wrote in my October 14th blog, "Interior Twists and Turns" about the arrival of the artwork of Nigerian artist El Anatsui at the Denver Art Museum. This piece is part of the exhibit "Embrace" which includes 17 artists work which is site specific. The artwork which you can see being prepared for hanging in my former blog is now it its full glory.

It is an exciting large drift of metallic cloth made from recycled foil from beer bottles and caps, entitled "Rain Has No Father". You can see the influence of Adinkra cloth and Nigerian weaving on this current work.
Last week while walking around a corner at the Kemper Contemporary Museum in Kansas City I was as delighted as if I had stumbled upon the sight of a red leafed maple tree.

These are two works of art, in front is a piece by John Chamberlain. I believe it is "Apparently Offfspring"1992. The painting behind it is by Friedl Dzubas, "Augenblick", 1986.
My eyes finally experienced the dazzlement I was longing for this fall.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails