March 24, 2009

Color Fragile and Strong

While in Guatemala spring came to the Front Range. This is not the usual time for spring in the Rockies as it seems to normally come about the middle of April. The quiet green furze of leaves begin to appear in the trees and I wait with relief for it all to unfold. This year I feel uncertain as we didn't witness deep snows or multiple cold weeks interspersed with warm days. This year it was multiple warm days interspersed with an occasional cold day. I thought this Haiku in the Denver Post caught the feeling of our undeserved spring beautifully.
"Brittle Denver spring
fragile buds, porcelain blooms
storm's breakage coming"
by Mary Reeves of Littleton , Colorado.
I was surprised to come home to the purple of crocuses and the appearance of daffodils all before St. Patrick's Day. I had just left this sight of violet jacaranda trees in the Parque Central of Antigua.

The Plaza is a meeting place for tourists, school children, demonstrations of clowns, office workers. I think someday I should just sit there from morning through evening to watch the movement of groups of people. The fountain was originally built in the 1700's but restored in 1936. Starting off as I am with violet do you see I am thinking about the secondary colors of Guatemala. The orange of this unknown to me flower, which I saw at the Hotel mansion El Pensativo was unforgettable. I saw a strong representative of the third secondary color - green- at our hotel , La Porta, of Antigua. I am looking forward to showing you at another date the tertiary colors I saw. what an inspiration!










No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails